Investing in stocks, index funds, or mutual funds does not come without risk. There are numerous factors as to why certain investment options are riskier and more profitable than others, which makes speaking with a financial advisor a must-do when seeking the best investment questions.
To help guide your investing, we’ve answered the best investment questions in order to help steer your investment future down the path best suited for your financial needs.
Questions to Ask Before Investing in Stocks
Before putting your hard-earned income into an investment accounts, there are numerous questions to ask before investing in stocks. Questions to ask before investing in stocks range from how to start, type of accounts, and risks associated with stocks.
- Where do I start?– Investing in stocks can be intimidating but asking the right questions before investing in stocks can put you on the right path to financial success. First determine what you want to achieve in terms of short-term vs. long-term growth. Are you investing in stocks for retirement, to diversify your portfolio, or trying to save for a house down payment? Depending on the date of when you’ll want to cash out on your stock investment will help determine your initial stock investment
- What type of investments are available? Stocks are common investment options but investing in individual companies is not how many people dabble in the stock market. Instead, index funds, which invest in securities is a good initial start. Bonds involve you loaning money to a corporation or government at a fixed interest rate is another major type of investment. There are also real estate and commodity investing options which are risker and require more savvy strategies.
- Can I pick out my own stocks?Investors have the freedom to choose any stock to purchase, but the amount of stocks can be overwhelming for first-time investors. Trading stocks can also incur trading fees which can take away from potential profits. To determine a stock investing approach that fits your financial goals, it’s best to have questions to ask your financial advisor so they can help direct you to appropriate investment options.
While stock investments do involve a degree of risk and the chart above shows how the stock market continues to increase, finding questions to ask before investing in stocks can help steer your financial goals onto the correct path.
Questions to Ask Your Financial Advisor
The best investment questions are not questioning you want answered from just anyone who dabbles in the investment market. The best investment questions involve complex answers and sound financial advice which financial advisors specialize in.
Questions to ask your financial advisor range from their qualifications to what investment benchmarks will they use. When hiring a financial advisor, it’s important to hire the best advisor that fits your financial situation. Questions to ask your financial advisor include:
- Are you a fiduciary?– While a fiduciary has to work for the best interest of the client, non-fiduciaries need to only offer ‘suitable’ advice even if the investment is not ideal for the client’s interest.
- What are your qualifications?– The Financial Industry Regulatory Authority’s professional database helps you decipher education requirements, disciplinary history, check professional status.
- What’s your investment philosophy? –As one of the most important questions to ask your financial advisor, this inquiry helps ensure you’re on the same investment track as your financial advisor.
- What investment benchmarks do you use?– One of the best investment questions to ask as this question directly related to what they’re invested in and how they measure if their investments are generating positive results.
Whether looking for the best investment questions answers or basic questions to ask your financial advisor, take the time to research your investment options and the financial advisors who can help you manage those investments with your best interest in mind.
If you would like more personal help with your investment questions, reach out to Matt Logan at 336-540-9700. He has years of experience helping make the right investment choices for each individual client’s needs and would be happy to hear about your investment goals.
Matt Logan Inc. is an independent firm with Securities offered through Summit Brokerage Services, Inc., Member FINRA, SIPC. Advisory services offered through Summit Financial Group Inc., a Registered Investment Advisor. Summit Brokerage Services, Inc., its affiliates and Matt Logan Inc. do not give tax or legal advice. You should consult an experienced professional regarding the tax consequences of a specific transaction. These are the views of Matt Logan Inc, and not necessarily those of Summit Brokerage Services, Inc. and any of its affiliates and should not be construed as investment advice.